The PTK Book Sale Results are IN!
Due to the donation of hundreds of pounds of books and other learning materials contributed by faculty, students, and members of the community and collected by OCCC Librarians, and with dozens of hours of time and effort by Phi Theta Kappa--and future members as well--the honor society raised $250 from our book sale last week.
The members of PTK want to thank the students, faculty, and staff who played a part in this success.
OCCC Library has given 10% of the proceeds to the Student Nurse Organization (SNO) for their fundraising efforts to help local children and teens in foster care. And, that donation of $25 will be matched by PTK! The remaining 80% of the funds, $200, will go to aid new members who are struggling to come up with the one-time, $75 membership fee.
As part of the honor society, members are eligible for over
$40 million of annual scholarships, and can take part in the group’s activities.
They join over 2.5 million others on more than 1200 campuses across the nation and beyond.
In addition, members have opportunities to plan for both transferring to four year institutions and to get support with job searches.
Membership Empowers You with a Competitive Edge
Membership in Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society guarantees you access to benefits that will recognize your outstanding academic accomplishments and provide you with the competitive edge that helps ensure future success. These benefits are unmatched by any other collegiate honor society.
- Well over $52 million in scholarships—many for members only
- FREE enrollment in CollegeFish.org, a transfer and college completion planning tool
- FREE access to Five Star Competitive Edge, a personal and professional development plan for building marketable skills and an online portfolio
- FREE access to our Career Resource Center
- Opportunity to be published in Phi Theta Kappa's anthology, Nota Bene
- Opportunities to develop research and leadership skills by participating in local chapter
- Opportunity to become part of a network of over 2.5 million fellow scholars and leaders on more than 1,270 campuses worldwide
- Increased pay grade for entry level federal jobs
- Personalized letters of recommendation for scholarships and employment
- The Phi Theta Kappa Golden Key Membership Pin
Membership requirements are a 3.25 GPA and 12 credits of college work completed. During the term following the point when a student meets these membership requirements, we will contact him or her via email. The one-time fee to join is $75 and that provides a lifetime membership. If paying this amount all at once presents a barrier, applicants can see Laura Hamilton about an honor-based, interest-free advance of a portion of the fee.
|According to Kimberly Jones, one of two PTK advisors, “Students who qualify for membership represent the sort of dedicated, hard-working students that Oregon Coast Community College is proud to send out into the world.”